httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:41:49 GMT
> I didn't understand your counterexample.  I think this is what you are
> referring to as the counterexample:
>
>     "In the context of scripting languages, and in the case of
>     chaining i.e. Python and Perl, both engines will be
>     interested in the POST data, as it will contain information
>     which apply to both of them."
>
> To me this simply restates "more than one module will consume the post
> data."  It doesn't give an example of why more than one module might
> need to consume the post data.

    That is like asking why multiple modules need to access the
    query string. Answer: The application logic depends on these
    input parameters.

    To give a more verbose example, imagine this scenario:

    default_handler -> mod_snake -> PHP

    mod_snake contains our application logic. It connects to a
    database and outputs XML. It processes POST data and handles
    possibly file uploads.

    PHP processes the XML and outputs HTML. During that process,
    the transparent URL rewriting also inserts session ids. To
    determine the session id, it needs to access the POST data.

    - Sascha