httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/aputil README
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:20:36 GMT

>   FEATURES:
>
>     * apu_dbm: a generic interface for talking to different DBM
>       implementations
>
>     * buckets: a set of data structures and functions that embody a
>       design for high performance I/O when the data may need to be
>       manipulated between generation and delivery.
>
>     * hooks: a type-safe mechanism for creating a loosly-coupled
>       invocation system.
>
>     * SHA1: functions to generate SHA-1 hashes
>
>     * base64: functions to perform Base-64 encoding
>
>     * URI: functions to manipulate URIs
>
>     * XML: functions and data structures for handling XML

This list feels like a kitchen sink.  It looks like anything that Apache
uses that isn't a part of the protocol handling.  I dislike that a
lot.  If we are going to create a utility library, then it really
shouldn't be a kitchen sink, it should have a well defined scope.  This
may mean that we end up with a couple of different utility libraries, or
that we decide that we have four or five really small libraries that
aren't related, and really can't survive on their own.

BTW, SHA1 and Base64 encoding is currently being discussed on APR's dev
list.  The new-httpd developers have discussed this a few times, and the
decision was always split.  APR has it's own developer list now, and they
deserve the right to look at this issue as well.  I am still hopeful that
this code will move to APR, and if it does then it should not move to
aputil.  If it doesn't, then it should move to a logical place in aputil.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131