httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject lib/aputil
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:56:53 GMT

I have some questions about this library.  I said the last time that we
discussed this that if we are putting a package into the lib/ directory,
then it needs to be a full package.  What was put into aputil is a wrapper
around some db code that, AFAICS, is not useful outside of Apache.

I'm also not really sure why this code is using APR.  AFAICS, there
is no portability issue that needs solving in this code though.  It is
using APR file definitions, but it isn't using APR files.  It is using
apr_pools, but I'm not convinced pools makes much sense here in any
context other than Apache.  Pools are a great memory management scheme,
but what are they buying us here?  As far as I can tell, the pool is
required because we are using our own hacked version of sdbm that requires
pools.  But why did we ever do that to sdbm?  The only other place we use
the pool, is to allocate a structure that could easily be allocated
outside of the function.

Also, this code refers to DAV, which ties it to the server.  If this code
is only valid inside Apache, then it should not be in a lib/ project.  If
this code is useful outside of Apache, then the DAV
references need to be removed.

Regardless, this REALLY needs to become a full package ASAP, or it
should be moved back inside of Apache IMHO.  At the very least, we need to
actually decide what belongs in this library now.  It seems to me that
this library has been discussed a lot, but nothing was ever decided.  If
something was decided, could we put a document in that directory
explaining what it's purpose is and how it will proceed.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131