httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: httpd.conf changes?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:42:48 GMT

> > > Not a bad idea... taking it one step further, now that we support config
> > > directories, consider the idea of splitting the server functions into a
> > > number of files by topic.  Here, a line #>section could direct the following
> > > lines into their own file within the conf/httpd.d directory
> >
> > Hmm. Not sure I like that idea. It gets a little confusing if you have
> > to edit 3 config files instead of one. Isn't that what we just moved
> > away from?
>
> No, that would be a truly optional feature for users who prefer the directory
> config.d mechanism, and then only those files that make sense (e.g. a few
> logical groups, such as core.conf, listings.conf, proxy.conf, etc. but not
> 25 seperate files!)
>
> We would always have one file unless the user splits it themselves.

I agree to a point.  SSL is a VERY complex feature, and we are talking
about adding it to the core of Apache.  I have always found that adding
the basic SSL directives with all their comments overwhelms the default
config file.  I would hope that when we get SSL into 2.0, we use an
include file to easily add the SSL directives.  Of course, things could
become simpler in 2.0 so that it isn't necessary.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131