httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: htdocs?
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:34:06 GMT

> > I JUST did a completely fresh checkout of Apache against HEAD, and there
> > is an htdocs directory.
>
> There shouldn't be. Did you not use -P to prune empty directories? In my
> .cvsrc, I have a line that contains "co -P -d" to ensure that empty
> directories are always pruned.

Here is my .cvsrc:

checkout -P
update -P -d
diff -u -d -b -w
rdiff -u
cvs -q -z3

It prunes all the rest of the empty dirs.  Plus, that isn't an empty
directory in HEAD.  That directory has files in it.  I don't know where
you are checking out against, but I get actual files when I do:

cvs -d rbb@locus.apache.org:/home/cvs co apache-2.0

> > Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding, perhaps xauth program could
> > not be run on the server side.
> > cvs server: existing repository /home/cvs/apache-2.0/htdocs does not match
> > /home/cvs/httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs
> > cvs server: ignoring module httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs
>
> Yup. Symptomatic of not using -P.

'fraid not.

> > Now, if I remove htdocs from the Apache tree, I can successfully checkout
> > htdocs.  It looks like last night, I left off the trailing htdocs/
> > directory from the httpd-docs-2.0 repository, which is what cause my
> > problem.
>
> Not sure how a trailing slash would affect anything. I set up my working
> directories without trailing slashes, and it works fine.

It wasn't the trailing slash.  It was the tailing htdocs.  In other words,
I did cvs co -d htdocs httpd-docs-2.0.  That doesn't work.

> > Regardless, the errors above are a problem.  The docs have
> > become a bigger hassle than they are worth right now.
>
> I disagree. I've never seen so much change to the docs, until we broke them
> out. The entire motivation for the split was to enable people to work on
> them. And that has been *very* successful, IMO.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a hassle here. About the only hassle is
> the "make install" requiring us to have an htdocs directory.

I completely disagree.  Have you noticed that 99% of the changes to the
docs are from non-coders.  That is very good and very bad.  It is good
because the docs are getting updated and bad because it shows that the
coders feel they don't need to deal with the docs.

BTW, I just did another FRESH checkout from CVS, and I'm still getting
files in the htdocs directory.

There is a problem, and you are one of the few people to not see it.  I
don't know what you are doing differently from the rest of us, but others
have said they are having problems with the htdocs dir.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131