httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/proxy mod_proxy.c mod_proxy.h proxy_connect.c proxy_http.c
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:28:37 GMT
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > >   Begin to remove some of the cache-ing logic from the http proxy.
> >
> > What will be the replacement cache mechanism?
> >
> > Is the cache filter that you checked in sufficient? It seemed a bit "light".
>
> It is a bit light right now.  It will need to grow in time.  Regardless,
> the entire proxy project agrees that the cache should not be in the proxy,
> and the current cache is getting in the way of moving forward with proxy
> development.  It makes the code very complex, and very difficult to trace
> and debug.

I should also mention that the proxy is at best being announced as an
initial alpha release with the rest of a8.  The proxy is not as stable as
the rest of Apache 2.0, so if the cache doesn't work very well we are
okay.  Right now, we are proxy'ing HTTP requests, and Chuck thinks he
might be able to get PASV FTP working tonight.  The cache for all of this
will come in time.  When the proxy part of the cache is done, we will also
be able to quickly replace mod_file_cache with a cache module.  If I
thought the cache module was ready for prime-time, it would have gone in
modules/standard, and I would have removed mod_file_cache.c.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131