httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_protocol.c
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:01:06 GMT
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> So 99% are from browsers which have no cached page, or from proxies
> who don't rely on HEAD for negotiation.  The q is - do we generate
> and dump a body for this traffic anyways just in order to compute
> a real c-l?

Why would browsers use a HEAD for this?  I would think they would rather
use If-Not-Modified since requests.  Our proxy module does not send any
HEAD requests that I can see (did a quick grep on HEAD in modules/proxy).

The question does come down to whether we should generate and dump the
body, however I should mention that we don't need to generate the whole
body.  I added a return code that basically says "This request is
done".  The http_header filter returns this response if we are serving a
HEAD request, so handlers that want to watch for that response can
short-cut this.  Also, we added a hack to remove this problem, by not
sending a c-l iff method == HEAD && c-l == 0.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131