httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:49:27 GMT
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > I don't want to see Yet Another Directory. In fact, Apache's complicated
> > build/*.mk stuff pisses me off. Every time that I dig in there, I want to go
> > and clean it up. This guys includes that guy, who defines rules over in that
> > other file. It is totally unclear what goes where, and how to find anything
> > in that rathole.
>
>     Oh sure. Instead of centralizing things, spreading variable
>     definitions all over the place will help you to understand
>     the system. And of course, it makes it much cleaner and
>     simpler to maintain.

Couple of things.  APR's build system isn't as complex as Apache's is, so
there isn't nearly as much to keep track of.  Since there is no set of
Makefiles that are used by all the other Makefiles, I don't see the need
for a build directory yet.  Having said all of that, I would be against
making APR's build system as complex as Apache's unless there is a really
good reason to do so.  It works now, and nobody has complained recently
(except for the headers which we've fixed now), so I don't think this is a
real issue.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131