httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:43:07 GMT

> I believe Ryan would like the "make depend" to occur in "buildconf".
> Personally, I wouldn't want to see that, but I'm okay with deferring that to
> a later decision. First order of biz is to clear up the deps and implement a
> new system for generating them.

As long as it is easy to generate and it ALWAYS generates all of the
directories, I'll be happy.

> > This can made more platform-independent in the future... mkdep.pl
> > doesn't do quite the right thing for me, but I may not have used it
> > correctly.  I think it is set up for apache object file names (.lo).
> >
> > Note that apr/build is a new directory for APR...
>
> -1
>
> I don't want to see Yet Another Directory. In fact, Apache's complicated
> build/*.mk stuff pisses me off. Every time that I dig in there, I want to go
> and clean it up. This guys includes that guy, who defines rules over in that
> other file. It is totally unclear what goes where, and how to find anything
> in that rathole.
>
> I don't want to see that happen to APR, too.
>
> Put the MKDEP into each Makefile and put build/rules.mk

THANK YOU!  I also can't stand Apache's build system, and I cringed when I
saw that we might add a build directory to APR.  I was going to let it
pass, assuming it was just me, but since it isn't....  I agree 100% with
Greg.  :-0

> simply be:
>
> depend:
> 	$(MKDEP) $(INCLUDES) $(CFLAGS) *.c