httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:20:48 GMT

> Let's stop and remember that *users* do not need dependencies. If they
> unpack the distribution, they are simply going to compile everything.
> Dependencies in the makefiles will not help them whatsoever.
>
> Given that dependencies are only for *us*, then let's solve the problem for
> us. Specifically, this means that when *we* generate the dependencies, we'll
> be doing it on the appropriate platform. And if we assume the dependencies
> won't get checked in, then everything should be fine.
>
> That gives us proper dependencies and keeps the platform stuff out of the .c
> files.
>
> [ I think this simply means that we generate the depencencies into
>   "Makefile" rather than "Makefile.in" ]

Small problem with that.  As Jeff said, he can't generate dependancies on
OS/390, and I'm not sure David can on BeOS.  Plus, I find it incredibly
useful to have the dependancies in the Makefiles from the start, and I
never get the right dependancies in Apache 2.0.  Whenever I change MPMs,
my dependancies break in 2.0, so doing it on the fly is a bit worrisome to
me.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131