httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:58:11 GMT

> I gues the root of our disagreement is the desirability of maintaining the
> ap_r* stream interface. If we maintain it (and I am in favor of maintaining
> it), we need to make sure it doesn't cause Apache to abuse the network (even
> if it is technically 'correct').  This is about being good internet citizens.
> Without the coalesce filter, mod_auto_index sends many, many small packets
> (few 10's of bytes) over the network. Maybe mod_auto_index is an extreme
> example, but other 3rd party modules may do the same thing.  If we maintain
> the ap_r* interface, we need to coalesce the byte stream it produces. If we
> are not willing to do this, then perhaps we should drop the ap_r* interface.
>
> I think Victor is playing around with ap_r* modifications. Let's take a look
> at what he does and go from there.

I agree we can't send hundreds of 10 byte packets to the network.  But the
place to fix this is either in the core_output_filter, or in a VERY
simple coalesce filter that always sits on top of the
core_output_filter.  One of the problems I have with the coalesce filter
is that it is three pages long and it punts on some cases that it
shouldn't punt on.

I really want to get a chance to look at this filter, but I have other
things on my plate right now.  Fixing this in ap_r* doesn't solve
anything, because it doesn't take filters that break up data into
account.  The correct solution is to fix the coalesce filter (or add this
feature to core_output_filter) and always call it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131