httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:29:57 GMT

> > Personally, I want to see this filter removed completely, but if it is
> > going to go into the server, it should be a universal thing.
>
> Yes, I agree. I don't see a need to keep it around after the ap_r* work is done.  In
the meantime,
> it does tame mod_auto_index.   It'll be out in a week, perhaps sooner.

How do you plan to improve ap_r*?  The only possible way to do that, is to
have copy the data into a heap bucket in the ap_r* functions.  Then you
have to find a place to store the buffer, which can only go in the
request_rec.  I have toyed with this idea since the buckets were
originally designed, and I really dislike it.  This relies on all of the
ap_r* functions working together to ensure that this works at all.

I really think that the proper way to solve this problem is to re-write
handlers if you want optimal performance, and ignore the handlers that are
still written to the old API.  The handlers will still work, but they
won't be optimal.  The autoindex problem is being solved by OtherBill
right now.  Chunking is not an issue if the handler is sane in creating
blocks of data.

Again, not a vote and not a veto, just an opinion.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131