httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: Implementing split() on pipe buckets?
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:57:34 GMT

> The cases we are discussing are all fifo problems.  Can't we have a common
> wrapper that handles (with the extra error conditions) any fifo bucket, outside
> of the explicit and atomic calls (split, duplicate) that offer predictable fifo
> behavior for filters that don't care to work around these issues themselves?
> e.g. ap_bucket_split_any, ap_bucket_duplicate_any, etc.  They can carry their
> documented shortcomings, and the author who uses them does so at a cost?

fine, but those are Apache functions, not bucket functions.  These things
cannot be implemented in the buckets code.  That is all I have been
saying.  The bucket implementation does not allow for splitting pipes or
sockets, so if we want to wrap those, then that is up to Apache.

I don't want to pollute the buckets with Apache specific ideas, and how we
recover from not getting enough data is Apache specific.  If we want to
implement a pipe/socket split, then it MUST be done at the Apache level.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131