httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: [?PATCH?] using getpwnam_r in mod_userdir
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:06:09 GMT

> > You can't do that either.  In many cases, the _r functions are much less
> > efficient than the non-_r functions.  So, if you always use _r you lose
> > efficiency.  Our wrappers would actually need to use _r or non-_r based on
> > how it is compiled.
>
>     I think you are confusing something now..
>
>     An _r wrapper is only used, if the platform does not have the
>     corresponding _r function.
>
>     Thus, an _r wrapper always uses the non-_r function.
>
>     Do you mean that native _r functions are much less efficient?

On some platforms, the _r function is actually quite a bit less
efficient.  I am looking right now to see how easy it would be for us to
implement a thread safe version of this stuff on a per-platform basis to
get around this problem.  I am not motivated to do this, but oh well.

>     I agree that fixing the platforms is the right mid-term to
>     long-term approach. It is a bogus problem which will
>     hopefully go away soon. In the mean-time, we should try to
>     address the problem though. That is all a Portable Runtime is
>     about.

I know, I'm just not in a great mood today.  I may post something later to
solve this problem, or I may give up for the night.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131