httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: apr/include/arch
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 17:46:46 GMT
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Ryan,
>
>   is there a reason we choose to include "plat/foo.h" rather than
> set the include path to include/arch/myplat, include/arch/unix, include
> (in that order)?

The only reason is that this ties all code re-use to the unix
platform.  That may be OK, or it may not.  I personally think it makes
sense for the C file to specify which header file it requires, because
that allows one C file to refer to different platforms for different
headers.  However, it also restricts that the C file knows which platform
it wants.  This is a trade-off.  I may have made the wrong choice.  I
really don't have a good answer, because I think it is 6-one-half-dozen of
the other here.

One way the C file decides which header to use.  The other the Makefiles
(or .dsps) decide.  I haven't got a clue which is easier to
maintain.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131