httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Configuration...
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:27:07 GMT

I agree 100%, libtool is horrible, but it does work.  I think the minimum
for what we need, is the ability to create shared objects on every
platform that we support and where it is possible.  1.3 came very close to
doing this, but I would personally hate to see us delay a beta for this
change, unless somebody is going to actively develop this.

Ryan

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> At ApacheCon one night, a group of us were sitting around, and
> it became clear that there was a clear and consistant dislike
> (OK, hatred) for libtool. If we can define the absolute *core*
> of what we need for libtool, we should roll our own.
>
> And I've always been of the mind that once we reach beta,
> I'd like to implement a Configure wrapper for configure :)
>
> David Reid wrote:
> >
> > OK, so this isn't important just yet, but being prepared is always a good
> > thing :)
> >
> > How are we going to handle configuration for A2 once we go to beta?  I ask
> > as at present for 1.3 we have a main configure script in the apache-1.3.x
> > directory and this is what users know and use.  Do we do the same for the
> > betas/releases of A2?  The present system is acceptable for developers but
> > not for users and so will need improving...
> >
> > Whatever we decide to do, can I humbly suggest that we do it soon and roll
> > another alpha with the new mechanism in place before we think about rolling
> > a beta?  Users will be expecting a lot and we need to be careful to
> > deliver...
> >
> > Just a few more random thoughts...
> >
> > david
> >

> --