httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
Subject Byterange filter.
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 06:08:11 GMT

I have spent all day working on a byte-range filter, and it is 99.9%
done.  As far as I can tell, I have the protocol correct.  I have read the
RFC, and I have compared the output to what 1.3 returns.  The results look
good, but I can't get the Adobe Acrobat plug-in to work with it.

The only difference between what 1.3 and this filter output is that 1.3
has a content-length, and 2.0 can't add one cleanly.  The problem is that
this filter is added by the http_header_filter, so it goes after the
header filter, which means that modifying a header value is
non-trivial.  Also, the headers don't actually flow through the byterange
filter, so we would need a hack_headers_filter that is installed between
the header_filter and the core_filter.  This seems like an exceptionally
bad idea, because the spec says we don't need a Content-Length.

I should mention that I can compute the Content-Length for the data
itself, but I cannot add the length of the byterange headers easily.  If
anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

I am committing this, even though it doesn't work perfectly.  It works
better than what we have right now, because it uses filters instead of
BUFF to do the work.  I have been unable to get byte-ranges as they
currently stand to work at all, so I figure at least this is a step

Could some other people please look at the output and try to find the
problem.  If nobody finds anything, I will look at this again tomorrow or
the next day.

BTW, this should basically remove BUFF finally.  I am leaving BUFF in the
code, because the proxy still needs it, but I will be removing all
references to it from the main server tomorrow.


Ryan Bloom               
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message