httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter J. Cranstone" <Cranst...@worldnet.att.net>
Subject RE: 1.3.15
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:17:08 GMT
> Excuse me, but that is the very definition of "technology related
> to this module".

The technology is NOT related to mod_gzip. It has nothing to do with the
module. The smart engine relates to a entirely separate product which runs
OUTSIDE the web or proxy server.

> I have no way of knowing exactly what RCI claims as patent pending, which
is why I need you to tell me it doesn't apply
> to mod_gzip.

I understand. For the record there is no technology inside mod_gzip or
related to mod_gzip which RCI has a patent pending on. mod_gzip has been
contributed to the Apache Software Foundation for the use of it's
membership. By membership I mean anyone who wants to download it and add it
to an existing Apache Web Server. If there is a formal contribution
application you want me to fill out we're willing to do it. Both mod_gzip
and the modified ApacheBench offer significant improvements to bandwidth
constrained web admins. I would hope that it could become part of the
cool/stuff/for/you/to/try/if/you/want modules library.

RCI will continue to support the module. We have already established a
mailing list (http://lists.over.net/mailman/listinfo/mod_gzip) and several
advances which relate to dynamic compression for Zope, Perl, PHP and Python
have already been released.

One final point, before anyone flames me on this topic. From reading my own
message it's clear that there is some "advertising" taking place. Guilty as
charged. It's an Apache module for Apache and we're proud of how it works.
In the past both Kevin and I may have acted inappropriately on this forum
however we now following the rules and have released code under the ASF
license. It does nothing but promote the Apache name and web server. There
are individuals on this forum who are benefiting financially from the use of
the Apache name while lending their support to the project, RCI intends to
follow it's own path, however we will continue to support not only the
module but also contribute to the forum.

Roy, we are finally contributing to Apache with something which is sorely
needed. Hopefully we are on the same page, if not what do we have to do to
make it so?

	Peter