httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Austin Gonyou" <aus...@coremetrics.com>
Subject RE: Apache, root, and core files.
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:48:24 GMT
It is controlled by both /etc/system and ulimit. This is important to know,
mainly because the only problem was that I had to reset my ulimit.
/etc/system was fine.
Austin

-----Original Message-----
From: root@main.aquanet.co.il [mailto:root@main.aquanet.co.il]On Behalf Of
Eli Marmor
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 8:13 AM
To: new-httpd@apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache, root, and core files.

Austin Gonyou wrote:

> Check your 'ulimit -a' and see what the size of Cores Is. Corefiles are
> controlled by the OS 90% of the time. If you are on Solaris x86, it's
> possible that it was turned off as a whole in the install. (don't ask why,
> it's a bug. I installed over 100 machines with Sol 7 x86, and found this
> troublesome thing happen from time to time)After changing the ulimit to
> something greater than the availaible memory, or the max size a process
will
> create, I got cores again.

Under Solaris (both SPARC and X86) it is controlled by an attribute
of "/etc/system". Solaris defends itself by preventing root from
generation of core files, and you should change /etc/system to
disable this "feature". You should also take care to the permissions
of the directory where the core file is going to be produced, and
not only to the ulimit. Once I wrote a small patch to allow Apache
to generate core files even under Solaris without modifying
/etc/system, but it is too ugly to be included in the standard tree.
If some of you want it nevertheless, please let me know and I'll
post it.

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it