httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: httpd.conf changes?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:29:33 GMT
The reorg of httpd.conf that I've come up with looks something like ...

# Section 1: Main server configuration
# Section 2: Performance settings
# Section 3: Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
# Section 4: Logging configuration
# Section 5: Locations
# Section 6: Assorted other settings
# Section 7: Per-directory settings
# Section 8: Conditional settings
# Section 9: Virtual hosting

The only one that I'm not particularly happy about is the "Assorted
other" section, which is things that don't fit well into any particular

I asked a few random strangers (IRC) for input on what they hated about
the Apache configuration file, and came up with interesting, but overall
unhelpful, comments. But, mostly they said that things that need to get
changed on every installation tend to be buried deep in the file, and
not be all together, so that it was rather like Walmart, where you have
to go down 12 aisles, even though you only want 4 items.

My hope is to build the config, and a related Perl program, such that it
will spit out a TOC, with subheadings, a la POD, as well as some of the
other things that we talked about (removing excess comments, splitting
into multiple files, etc.)

I will say, however, that I have renewed appreciation for the various
people who organized and reorganized the config along the way, as it is
not an easy thing to do.

Author: Apache Server Unleashed -
Director of Web Application Development -

View raw message