httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject Re: httpd.conf changes?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:19:39 GMT
I strongly agree with Rich that the current status is bad. But I
don't think that it should be solved by replicating the problem to
many files; The solution, IMHO, should be the opposite, and I agree
with Bill that IfDef should be used to avoid separate files like the
"win32" file. I also think that "Include" should be used, and that
some information, like platform specific, or SSL (in case of mod_ssl
or a future built-in support for SSL) should be transferred to
separate *HEADERS*. The core should not be mirrored, because it will
cause anomality (and indeed, the "win32" version was usually not up-
to-date an synchronized with the main httpd.conf). Think "C"; Use
include files and headers for platform specific, or for special
configurations. Use IfDef to provide more options, and don't ask the
poor user to edit the file. Use variables, as much as possible; It's
always easier to ask the user to use "-D", than to ask him to edit
the file and change a value in it, or write a special script that
will do it for him during the installation.

Don't flame, please; Just my humble opinion, based on many
experiments that I've done in the past.

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it