httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Getting cores to dump from root/nobody.
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:21:41 GMT
I am attempting to debug a core dump in Apache on Linux, but am not
getting a core file. Apache is being started as root and switching
to nobody. This is at a customer site and for various reasons they
must use port 80.

I have done a debug build to test with. I get a core file if started
as non-root, but no core if started as root. I have made sure that
root has core files enabled (ulimit -c unlimited).

In the code (snip below) in mpm_common I get the message from the
first part (including "possible coredump in"...) when starting as non-root.
When starting as root I get the second message (without the "possible
coredump in"...).

Where is WCOREDUMP defined and what does it check for? Where in the code
does it determine if it will dump core? Is there something in Linux that
is preventing core files from being generated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein