httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: htdocs?
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:04:03 GMT
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 03:34:06PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > Now, if I remove htdocs from the Apache tree, I can successfully checkout
> > > htdocs.  It looks like last night, I left off the trailing htdocs/
> > > directory from the httpd-docs-2.0 repository, which is what cause my
> > > problem.
> >
> > Not sure how a trailing slash would affect anything. I set up my working
> > directories without trailing slashes, and it works fine.
>
> It wasn't the trailing slash.  It was the tailing htdocs.  In other words,
> I did cvs co -d htdocs httpd-docs-2.0.  That doesn't work.

Right. That is why my command line had "httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs". You have to
get the subdir. Works great from there.

> > > Regardless, the errors above are a problem.  The docs have
> > > become a bigger hassle than they are worth right now.
> >
> > I disagree. I've never seen so much change to the docs, until we broke them
> > out. The entire motivation for the split was to enable people to work on
> > them. And that has been *very* successful, IMO.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a hassle here. About the only hassle is
> > the "make install" requiring us to have an htdocs directory.
>
> I completely disagree.  Have you noticed that 99% of the changes to the
> docs are from non-coders.  That is very good and very bad.  It is good
> because the docs are getting updated and bad because it shows that the
> coders feel they don't need to deal with the docs.

And what is your point? Say it is bad all you like, but it is not going to
change how people work. Either the coders will do the docs, or they won't.
One or two repositories isn't going to change it.

> BTW, I just did another FRESH checkout from CVS, and I'm still getting
> files in the htdocs directory.

What files? I didn't see any in my look through apache-2.0/htdocs/. If you
can list them, then we can fix it.

> There is a problem, and you are one of the few people to not see it.  I
> don't know what you are doing differently from the rest of us, but others
> have said they are having problems with the htdocs dir.

You have identified three problems that I know of:

1) some EmptyDir thing. we don't know if this is because of the htdocs split
   or some temporary inconsistency in one of the CVS repositories or pserver
   or whatever.

2) checking out httpd-docs-2.0 directory doesn't work. easy resolution:
   check out httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs

3) files still exist somewhere in apache-2.0/htdocs. name them, and we'll
   get them deleted properly.

Each of these has a specific resolution. None are permanent problems due to
the split.

Cheers,
-g

--