httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: htdocs?
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:24:16 GMT
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 12:15:35PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > cvs import is generally bogus. That isn't what we want.
> >
> > What is wrong with checking out the htdocs tree into the Apache 2.0 tree?
> > That ought to work quite fine. I see no problem with htdocs.
>
> Last night, I took a tree that didn't have the htdocs directory, and
> checked out the httpd-docs-2.0 into htdocs.  This morning I tried to
> update that tree to get the fixes that were committed last night.  I got
> errors from CVS.  Somebody about CVS/EmptyDir not being found.

Never seen that one. Why don't we find out *why* that error occurs, then
simply assuming that it is because of split repositories in your working
directory?

> I can't be
> the only person seeing these problems, because last week Roy was willing
> to put the htdocs stuff back into the apache tree to fix these problems.

Who knows why Roy wanted to combine them. That is a separate issue, and now
that I'm thinking about, I'd rather see a better explanation from Roy on
what he believes the problem is. Until then, we shouldn't go and muck with
the htdocs. (read: -1 on Roy's move until we understand "why")

> > For example, I just checked out the htdocs tree into my Apache tree with the
> > following command:
> >
> > $ cvs -d :ext:gstein@dev.apache.org:/home/cvs co -d htdocs httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs
> >
> > Now, I can go into the htdocs directory and update from there. Or I can even
> > update from the root of my Apache 2.0 tree and it will recurse into htdocs
> > and grab files from the other repository.
> >
> > What *doesn't* work is pulling a copy of Apache 2.0 and its docs from before
> > the split. To do that, I'd need to start with a fresh repository (where
> > htdocs isn't in the way and pointing elsewhere).
>
> I JUST did a completely fresh checkout of Apache against HEAD, and there
> is an htdocs directory.

There shouldn't be. Did you not use -P to prune empty directories? In my
.cvsrc, I have a line that contains "co -P -d" to ensure that empty
directories are always pruned.

> That means that when I went to execute the cvs
> command above, I get errors:
>
> Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding, perhaps xauth program could
> not be run on the server side.
> cvs server: existing repository /home/cvs/apache-2.0/htdocs does not match
> /home/cvs/httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs
> cvs server: ignoring module httpd-docs-2.0/htdocs

Yup. Symptomatic of not using -P.

> Now, if I remove htdocs from the Apache tree, I can successfully checkout
> htdocs.  It looks like last night, I left off the trailing htdocs/
> directory from the httpd-docs-2.0 repository, which is what cause my
> problem.

Not sure how a trailing slash would affect anything. I set up my working
directories without trailing slashes, and it works fine.

> Regardless, the errors above are a problem.  The docs have
> become a bigger hassle than they are worth right now.

I disagree. I've never seen so much change to the docs, until we broke them
out. The entire motivation for the split was to enable people to work on
them. And that has been *very* successful, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a hassle here. About the only hassle is
the "make install" requiring us to have an htdocs directory.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/