httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: re. Measuring apache throughput
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:43:24 GMT
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:02:06AM -0500, Prachi N. Thakar wrote:
> 1. Since there are a number of child processes created, the requests get
> distributed to more than a single process and there is no global
> information maintained. Would I have to manually calculate how long each
> of the processes took to process the 1000 requests?

No. Just calculate how fast each process handled them. Add them together.

> 2. What is the ideal throughput for the Apache webserver. The way I am
> doing it right now, I get very low values. Maybe my code is buggy but I
> would like to compare it against some known value.

There is no such thing as an "ideal throughput." When you figure out why
that is true, then you won't need to ask :-)

[ basically: what hardware? what OS? what mix of dynamic vs static pages?
  what network? latency? bandwidth? blah blah blah ]

Greg Stein,

View raw message