httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: mod_cache.c
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:06:36 GMT
On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 06:34:12AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> I am posting a copy of mod_cache.c, which is a VERY simple cache module
> for Apache 2.0.  This basically implements a file cache filter and with
> some work it can be abstracted to other cache types.  The reason I am not
> committing it, is because this is horribly broken right now.  It never
> reads from the cache to try to serve that page, and it always caches to
> the same file.  :-)  The first problem is just a matter of writing a
> handler.  The second is even easier, we need to rip the logic out of the
> current file_cache directory to get a valid key for the file.
>
> I have added comments for where things should be abstracted so that
> different back-ends can be used.  I don't want this to fall on the floor,
> and if this stays on my hard-drive, it will not see the light of day for
> at least a month.  So, have at it and if anybody wants to pick this up,
> let me know.  I want to help, but I am stretched too thin to do the cache
> myself.  :-)

Normally, I'd say commit it to the experimental/ directory, but it hasn't
even reached an experimental point :-)  [ all the things in there at least
do what they say, even if they might not cover all boundary conditions ]

While I agree with not wanting to lose the work, I think by posting it to
new-httpd we're okay (and Bill's comment that Victor may want to work on
it).

I'm -1 for putting it into the repository until we have a location that
implies "in development; doesn't work".  modules/broken/ ?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/