httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:18:00 GMT
On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 12:11:21PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > I really appreciate your help!  I'm just a bit tired of staring at
> > makefiles :)
>
> The only solutions I keep coming back to is to either remove dependancies
> or go back to having the C files define which header they really mean.  I
> personally prefer having the C files define it.

Let's stop and remember that *users* do not need dependencies. If they
unpack the distribution, they are simply going to compile everything.
Dependencies in the makefiles will not help them whatsoever.

Given that dependencies are only for *us*, then let's solve the problem for
us. Specifically, this means that when *we* generate the dependencies, we'll
be doing it on the appropriate platform. And if we assume the dependencies
won't get checked in, then everything should be fine.

That gives us proper dependencies and keeps the platform stuff out of the .c
files.

[ I think this simply means that we generate the depencencies into
  "Makefile" rather than "Makefile.in" ]

Cheers,
-g

--