httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:15:09 GMT
On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:09:32AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > The APR build is still messed up on OS/390, but in a different way
> > today :)
> >
> > The new lib/apr/network_io/unix/Makefile.in has:
> >
> >   sockets.o: sockets.c $(OSDIR)/networkio.h \
> >          (more stuff)
> >
> > For me, OSDIR is set to the os390 directory, but there is no
> > networkio.h in that directory.  The dependency causes make to bail
> > out.  I can make it work for now by editing network_io/unix/Makefile
> > and misc/unix/Makefile and setting OSDIR to the unix directory, but
> > obviously we need a better solution.
> >
> > more thought required...
>
> This is a dependancy issue.  Just change the dependancy to be
> unix/networkio.h or run make depend in that directory.  The problem is
> happening because the dependancies were created on a unix box, where OSDIR
> == DEFAULT_OSDIR.  If you re-run the dependancies on a 390 box and commit
> the changes this will go away and things will still work on Unix.

That is a hack and we need a better solution. What you are saying is that we
can never generate the dependencies except from an OS/390 box. That is
simply unacceptable for our development process.

I don't know enough about the dependency (generation) to suggest a solution,
but I know enough to say OS/390 -only generation is not going to work for us
long-term.

Cheers,
-g

--