httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:29:28 GMT
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:12:07 -0800 (PST), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>> I agree. I'm currently fixing up the OS/2 APR build & I think the cleanest
>> way to go is:
>>
>> - Every Makefile.in contains at least
>> INCLUDES=-I$(INCDIR) -I$(INCDIR)/arch/@OSDIR@
>> -I$(INCDIR)/arch/@DEFAULT_OSDIR@
>>
>> - all APR private includes look like #include "fileio.h", ie no leading
>> arch directory so no #ifdef'ing needed in shared .c files.
>>
>> I think something very similar was suggested by someone else, in which case
>> I'm just agreeing :)
>
>This is what Will Rowe suggested.  I have no great opinion either way, but
>I would point out one deficiency with this method (not that the current
>method doesn't have it's drawbacks.  :-)  The only drawback I see, is that
>this ties each platform to a single default OS.

For the example you came up with (OS/2 wanting to use some Win32 code) the
INCLUDES line can be suitably modified in that particular module, but for
now it's not needed and I seriously doubt it will ever be. All the win32
modules use Win32 API calls which OS/2 isn't going to accept. All the other
non-unix code is tightly tied to that specific platform too.