httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mager <...@helios.de>
Subject Re: Configuration...
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:00:47 GMT
On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:38:42PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:

>     So, if libtool handles shared libraries and if shared
>     libraries are a subset of DSOs, what functionality would be
>     missing in libtool to handle DSOs properly?

Well, libtool simply should have a high level argument that specifies
whether the target to be built is supposed to be a shared library or a
DSO. The platform specific rules can then put the proper compiler or
linker flags in force like the ones needed on Rhapsody/MacOS X. But this
is further complicated by the fact that the native program that builds
shared libraries and DSO's is also named libtool, probably the GNU
libtool folks got their ideas there.

Not that I endorse the fact the shared libraries and DSO's are different
object file types for the Apple (say NeXT) folks, that appears highly
strange to me.
--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH