httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Configuration...
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:55:45 GMT
Ah, so the answer is "why would you want to do that?" The fact
that libtool itself is broken is dismissed by saying it's
an OS/platform problem.

*ANY* SysV based 'ar' has the problem. And it's something like
libtool should handle correctly. The fact that it doesn't
is bogus.

Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > How? I've got a nasty hack on my own local copy of libtool
> > that "gets around" this, but a real solution depends on
> > changing the way libtool scans for object files in archives
> > and how it stores that listing away. Right now, it assumes
> > that when you add super_long_file_name.o to an archive,
> > that the filename is preserved totally, which isn't the
> > case in traditional SysV ar, which truncates it to 14 (or is
> > it 15) chars. So the scan point later on which looks for
> > '*.o' files is hit or miss and broken.
>
>     Ah, you mean that issue. Sure, that is bad, but why would you
>     want to run a web-server + PHP on a SunOS 4 box where the
>     standard compiler cannot handle ANSI C? Last time I checked,
>     Apache did not have K&R compatibility as well.
>
>     - Sascha

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"