httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 08:06:56 GMT
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:23:53PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > 1.1 !!
> >
> > It looks like you've been mucking in the repository, rather than using cvs
> > add/delete?
> >
> > IOW, we just lost the history of mmap.c ?
>
> Yes, and that was a mistake.  However, this is how we have always moved
> files, and although you have argued against it everytime, we have never
> changed the policy, so I just did what we have always done.

Last time we went through this, the general consensus seemed to point to NOT
mucking in the repository.

You *do* realize that all of the older versions of Apache 2.0 are now
broken? There is no way to pull Apache 2.0a* at all. The tags just no longer
exist on mmap.c.

Even reestablishing the tags may not do it since mmap.c may have changed
over time and the current one cannot build against older environments.

Yes, I'm a bit peeved. Last time you mucked in the repository, you flat out
broke it. This time, we have apr/include/arch files with improper tags, and
the entire history/tags blown away on mmap.c. We discussed this back in July
(I just checked the archive) and from the people that actually spoke up:

Greg, FirstBill, Ben: cvs add/delete. no mucking
Ryan: "I personally don't care"
Ken: do the mucking
Dirk: reported on his thoughts of prior consensus, but never stated his
      thoughts

Whether we did it one way in the past or not, it doesn't mean we should keep
doing something that is wrong/dangerous.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/