httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: feature request: timezone setting per virtual host?
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:10:06 GMT
Monte Ohrt <monte@ispi.net> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I didn't find anything
>in the mailing list archives. Is it possible for each virtual host in
>apache to have its own timezone setting?

It could be done by calling tzset() at the beginning of
log_request_time() in mod_log_config, according to some new TimeZone
configuratioon directive. However this would not be very efficient
since tzset involves loading and interpreting a file.

>This feature would make access log reports much simpler. For instance,
>if you have several clients from different timezones hosted on one
>system, this eases the need to convert all the logs to another timezone
>(offset from localtime) within the log analyzing program. It would be
>much more efficient to correct this at the source (apache log file).

It depends on how you are handling your logs :-) if you log them to
one place and split them per-customer after the fact then it is more
efficient to do timezone fix-up at that time.

I personally prefer to do everything in UTC in order to avoid
ambiguity, especially because governments insist on fooling around
with the clocks twice a year for no good reason.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y    dot@dotat.at