httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:48:55 GMT
On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 06:55:55AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Ryan,
> > I completely disagree with this veto.  It is arbitrary and unilateral.
> > mod_ext_filter is a slick, direct and elegant way to bind the web server to
> > Unix style filters.  Yes, it is different but that doesn't make it bad. I
> > suggest a compromise: let it reside in modules/experimental for a release and
> > see what happens. If it doesn't get traction, then boot it out.
>
> a) this isn't arbitrary.  The Apache Group has veto'd other modules from
> just being included in the past.

I got the impression that it was mostly for "who is the maintainer?"
reasons, than deciding not to include something. (there are others such as
size-of-module, size-of-community, etc which makes it difficult to include
things like mod_perl even tho they are well-maintained)

I don't see any of these issues, though, with mod_ext_filter.

Yes, I know you removed the veto, but a meta-discussion about "what modules
go in and what stays out" is valid.

Cheers,
-g

--