httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Resolution - 1.3.15 ap_os_is_path_absolute
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:13:58 GMT
Users are frequently reporting that their module/handler/alias
absolute paths are being concatinated onto the server root.
This is because 1.3.14 now refuses to believe in backslashes
under win32, and it's up to the front end to deal with them.

Vote Please:

Solution 1: do nothing, go back to accepting backslashes within
the apache server, and pray for the best.  (I'm -1)

Solution 2: Mr. Stoddard's solution - go through everywhere we accept
a path from the config and pass it thorough ap_canonicalize_filename.
I'm +0, too much code needs to change.

Solution 3: My own - simply change both the ap_set_file_slot and
ap_server_root_relative functions pass the file arg through the
ap_canonicalize_filename function before testing that it is/isn't
absolute.  I'm +1, since it's a smaller, tighter patch.  It also
helps third party authors and prevents them from thinking about this
issue entirely.

Solutions 2 & 3 break OS2 ... we've discussed this before.  Actually,
it doesn't, in so far as OS2 set the working directory to the server
root, but I don't think that's the entire solution.

ap_canonicalize_filename doesn't create an absolute path under any
other OS, so it's inappropriate as coded on OS2 today.  If it happens
to work, great :-)

It's a showstopper, so your opinions?