httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:49:34 GMT
> The coalesce filter needs to sit right above the chunk filter, else we can
> have pathological cases where the chunking protocol overhead is greater than
> the payload being transferred.  In the mod_auto_index case for example, we
> commonly have chunks that are 1 or 2 bytes long.   Perhaps this coalesce
> function needs to be rolled into the chunk filter.  I am more interested in
> the function than in defending a particular implementation.

Could we close this whole issue by making coalesce an ap_r* filter?  Only the
ap_r* and external apps (such as cgi, isapi, fcgi) are clueless about the
transmission details.  Can we simply drop this in after the ap_r*, allow cgi,
etc to insert it?  Any filter in between coalesce and and the core (excluding
the external filter) knows the bucket semantics and should be handling the
stream appropriately.

Bill