httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:17:31 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> On 25 Oct 2000 trawick@locus.apache.org wrote:
>
> > trawick     00/10/25 08:42:39
> >
> >   Modified:    src/main http_core.c
> >   Log:
> >   EBCDIC: Make chunk_filter() write chunk headers/trailers in ASCII.
>
> This is bogus.  This is what the filtering is supposed to prevent.  Why
> isn't the charset-lite filter taking care of this?

The existing charset-lite filter is for bodies, not for protocol
data.  It doesn't even see most protocol data.

At one point, the goal was to have an implementation charset filter
which on an EBCDIC platform would translate protocol data.  Tony, who
introduced the concept in the first place, decided later for reasons I
can't remember that it wouldn't be appropriate, and that we would
translate directly in the handful of places through which protocol
data passes.

This was all well and good for me, as maintaining the metadata used to
indicate that a bucket is in the implementation charset seemed to be
error prone.  It is easy enough to set some metadata for the next
filter down to use, but throw in the potential for other filters
in-between and you have to worry about maintaining it across various
operations, some standard (e.g., ap_bucket_split()), others
non-standard (e.g., coalesce logic).

You may wish to review message <20000922213420.C91834@hand.dotat.at>.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...