httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: FW: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.chttp_request.c
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:23:57 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Greg Ames wrote:
> > Greg Ames wrote:
> > > rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm, that sounds like it could work.  Unfortunately my CVS access is hosed
at the
> > > moment :-(  but I could at least try it.
> >
> > But wait -- the "r" doesn't exist at pre-connection time, right?  We need to do
> > something when the request_rec is initialized.
> >
> > How about this: Put a pointer to the filter name in the conn_rec at pre-connection
> > time (SSL would use a different name), then when the "r" is initialized, do the
> > ap_add_filter using the pointer to the correct name rather than a hard coded string.
>
> ARGH!  You're right.  The only real way to solve this is to add another
> hook just after creating request_rec.  It's the only clean way to solve
> this.  If your CVS access is still messed up, let me know and I'll make
> the change.

Let's back up a second or three...

Don't we need the write-to-the-network filter tied to the conn_rec
instead of the request_rec?  Otherwise, we'll be using different
instances of the write-to-the-network filter for different requests on
the same connection.  That would seem to be a potential pain for SSL
and for a core_filter that wants to buffer output across requests.

What if installing core_filter is associated with initializing the
conn_rec structure (perhaps in a hook called right after creating the
conn_rec)...

. conn_rec needs an output filter list
. when the request_rec is initialized for a new request it starts off
  with the chain on the conn_rec
. ap_add_filter() (which needs to be renamed to ap_add_output_filter()
  anyway) would need to take the address of the list head
  (&c->output_filters or &r->output_filters) to be modified

What am I missing here?

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...