httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: providing content-length
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:33:07 GMT

> > It is not possible for the core to maintain content-length, a filter must
> do it.
>
> Sure it is. If you know you have to 'gather' and 'harvest' before 'send'
> then the core is fully aware of what's happening. By 'core' I mean
> any and all API's that have anything to do with sending data
> including mod_cgi which is still 'seeing' everything that's leaving.

No.  mod_cgi is a module, it is not part of the core.  The core is just
the http_protocol module.  And really, this is a part of the core, but it
should be a separate filter in the core, which is exactly what Jeff
implemented.  I had a minor complaint about the code being too complex,
and other than that it is just a question of when to do it.

> >  No.  If something doesn't send "Accept-encoding: chunked" and we don't
> >  have a content-length, then we will buffer the data and compute the
> >  content-length before we send it.
>
> Huh? So you are done then? Why are we having this thread?

I don't know.  Why did you ask the question.

> If you can do that at all then you can do it all the time, if need be.
> You are finished.

We don't want to do it all the time.  We only want to do this if we have
to because we can't use chunking.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131