httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:12:27 GMT

> Let me cite my own experiences... had it not been for mod_cgi (a very simple
> handler with a very similar task) I would have found it difficult to integrate
> buckets with mod_isapi.  I believe that this module accomplishes the same task
> at the filter authoring level, a very simple implementation of filters.  I'd
> argue that we have far more specialized modules with far more limited appeal
> (focused, if you rather.)

But that's not the purpose of our modules.  Our modules implement a
web-server.  If we need examples of how to do things, then we have
mod_example or the docs.

> I agree we don't roll the kitchen sink, and that it's pretty obscure why one
> would really use this module (or not, let's let the users prove it.)  But if
> I'm not using python, perl or php I'm out of luck?  No, this is the basis

No, you aren't out of luck, but then you should be writing an Apache
module, not an external filter.

> for writing one of these extenders, so I'd really argue it is a good, if not
> too generic and slow, thing for the core distribution.
>
> "When did we decide" is pretty harsh language for CTR :-)  But either way,
> I'd suggest you have lots more modules to boot before we argue the merits of
> this one.

Then suggest the modules to boot and let's get rid of them.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131