httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:18:11 GMT

> > When did we decide this module was going to be part of the core?  We all
> > have modules that we would like to get into the core code, but that
> > doesn't mean they get in.  I haven't reviewed this module yet, but it
> > really seems like an add-on based on the previous mentions of it.  I am
> > personally -1 for including it with the core server.
>
> If you haven't reviewed the module yet, why are you vetoing it?  Take

Because I know the general purpose of the module, and I don't think it has
anything to do with implementing a web server.  To be honest, what the
code looks like doesn't really concern me, because it is the idea that
bothers me.  That is too harsh though.  It isn't even the idea, I like the
idea of the module, but I don't think it has any place in the core server.

> a look at it first.  Of course *I* think it is valuable addition and
> that by making filtering trivial to implement it will open up more
> minds to what can be done, which will hopefully result in more filters
> being written (hopefully which don't all run out-of-process) :)

But that's just it.  This doesn't make filtering any easier, it makes
external filtering easier.  If you are going to do something like this, it
makes MUCH more sense to write a simple CGI script to do it and then feed
that to Apache filters.

Or, use mod_perl or mod_python or mod_php to do something like this.  I
don't see what this adds one way or the other to the web server as a web
server.  This module belongs on modules.apache.org or linked to off your
own site, not in the core dist.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131