httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:49:57 GMT
On 25 Oct 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net writes:
> > On 25 Oct 2000 trawick@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >
> > This is bogus.  This is what the filtering is supposed to prevent.  Why
> > isn't the charset-lite filter taking care of this?
>
> The existing charset-lite filter is for bodies, not for protocol
> data.  It doesn't even see most protocol data.

Why?  Just put it lower in the filter stack, and this problem goes away
doesn't it.

> At one point, the goal was to have an implementation charset filter
> which on an EBCDIC platform would translate protocol data.  Tony, who
> introduced the concept in the first place, decided later for reasons I
> can't remember that it wouldn't be appropriate, and that we would
> translate directly in the handful of places through which protocol
> data passes.

Most of his arguments make sense for input filtering, but I completely
disagree for output filtering.  There is no reason to hack the clean
filters that we have to do charset translation.  This should be a filter.

If we use ifdef's, then we end up inserting an arbitrary limitation to
what an Apache binary can do.  If this is a filter, this is extensible by
simply adding another filter.  Since the filter is basically simple to
implement, I would really like to understand why we aren't doing it.

Tony?

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131