httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey W. Baker" <>
Subject gzip encoding in the default configuration
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:16:39 GMT
i am interested in the history behind these two lines in httpd.conf.dist
in the 1.3.x version of apache:

    AddEncoding x-compress Z
    AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz

these two line cuase a browser to decompress gz files automatically.
according to the comments in httpd.conf.dist, this was done on purpose.
the problem this is causing for me is that files like, for example,
linux-2.4.0-test9.tar.gz, are decompressed during download at a rather
extraordinary 6-to-1 ratio.  when i download these files, i expect them to
land on my disk in compressed format, just as if i had downloaded them
using ftp.  when i download them from an apache server, they are
decompressed by my browser.

why were these encodings added?  it seems more appropriate to use a mime
type application/x-gzip with the identity encoding, than to use the tar
mime type with an x-gzip encoding.

fyi see this mozilla bug:

View raw message