httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:49:19 GMT
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:38:45AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > None of this applies to a DSO module, of course.  I agree that it is a bit
> > annoying to need autoconf/automake/libtool to compile an external module
> > into Apache statically, but the average user would hopefully be using DSO
> > to add external modules to Apache.
>
> Why can't the same mechanism (apxs I guess) be used to build static
> modules? The only difference are the flags to the compiler and linker,
> really.

Well, you have to relink the actual httpd binary.  Like I mentioned, I
could see there being some sort of top-level configure flag to link in a
third-party static library, but it needs to be controlled from the Apache
side of things.  I suppose this could be directly in apxs as well and apxs
would run off and re-link/re-compile the httpd.

-Rasmus