httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:06:50 GMT
> > > None of this applies to a DSO module, of course.  I agree that it is a bit
> > > annoying to need autoconf/automake/libtool to compile an external module
> > > into Apache statically, but the average user would hopefully be using DSO
> > > to add external modules to Apache.
> > >
> > > -Rasmus
> > >
> > I'm trying to use alpha 5 and DSO support is not available for USS on
> > OS/390 in that level of Apache 2.0.  Is DSO support available for USS on
> > OS/390 in a more current level?
> >

> Awaiting your answer Rasmus ;-)
>
> I think his point is we should be using apxs to build DSOs and that we do not
> need autoconf/et. al. to add external modules. All the relevant compiler
> settings, etc should be saved in apxs during an Apache build.  That's my
> understanding anyways...

USS, OS/390?  Uh...

What I mean is that it is not difficult to generate a standalone module
that has the correct Makefiles and other gear to allow it to build outside
the tree without the need for autoconf, automake nor libtool.  And yes, it
would need to have something apxs-like to tell it where things are
installed.

For PHP we have a little script that takes any bundled module and
generates the requires files to allow it to build as a standalone module.

I suppose it would be possible to add some gear to the top-level configure
script to allow you to do something similar to an --activate-module which
would end up pulling in a .a.  But again, I think third-party static
modules should be the exception rather than the norm moving forwards.

-Rasmus