httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:57:23 GMT
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Sander van Zoest wrote:

> I definately agree on this being a problem. There are times where you do
> not want to use DSO for security issues and reliability. Things are getting
> much better here, but we aren't necessarily there yet.
>
> I haven't really had too much luck using autoconf while the original sources
> are on a read-only surface, but that might be because of my lack of experience
> with autoconf.

We have got shadow builds working with autoconf already, so this should be
a non-issue, at least if I understand what you are saying.  :-)

As far as building complex modules, I want to suggest a solution
again.  In modules/extra/config.m4, we have the definition for
--with-module.  If this macro just copies the module's directory into
modules/extra, and the modules/extra/Makefile is modified to build all
directories, we get much closer than we are now.

The only problem I see with this, is that at some point,. somebody is
going to have an old module in their modules/extra directory, and it is
going to be built anyway.  What we need to fix that, is to allow the
Makefile in extra/ to be modified to only make in the configured
directories.

Jim, you said you are working on this, right?

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131