httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:56:02 GMT

Here's an ugly little solution.  We could add arguments to buildconf for
this.  All the buildconf script would do is to copy a directory into the
modules sub-dir, and check for a config.m4, if it isn't there, then it
just copies a stub file in and modifies it.

The thing about doing this with autoconf, is that the person has to run
./buildconf again anyway, because buildconf is what picks up the config.m4
files.

The one nice thing about the current solution, is that it allows module
writers to hook into our config system easily.  I personally think that
--with-moudle should copy the file into modules/extra, even if it is a
directory, and the Makefile should be modified in modules/extra to try to
make in all subdirs.  That would solve this problem, and it would do it in
a way that uses an already existing option.

Ryan

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> You're right... the ./configure process must somehow reinvent
> itself to do that... And to do it, it basically has to be a mini
> autoconf.
>
> Argf.
>
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > Not enough.
> >
> > The config.m4 files are collected into the top-level configure. In other
> > words, they are used *before* you run autoconf. But... our intent is to not
> > require users to need the autoconf toolset.
> >
> > So: config files are out. We have to give them a dumber mechanism for
> > plugging into the build.
> >
> > Currently, the output of config.m4 is modules.mk. But that is included by
> > Makefile, so I'd guess that it isn't "strictly" required. Therefore, it
> > seems possible to have third parties supply a Makefile.in that follows some
> > pattern.
> >
> > [ note: they can *run* ./configure (thereby creating Makefile from
> >   Makefile.in), but they cannot run autoconf itself ]
> >
> > Complex configurations are a different story. How do we get them to
> > participate within ./configure without needing to run autoconf beforehand?
> > Essentially, this means some kind of sub-config process much like we do with
> > APR and MM.
> >
> > Yes, this is getting a bit ooky.
> >
> > For mod_dav_svn, I've just been copying a libtool library into the right
> > place and linking it in. However, it has also been copying over a config.m4
> > and assuming the person runs autoconf, then configure beforehand.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -g
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 07:51:53AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > > Maybe if we have a stub config.m4 file and autoconf assumes
> > > all 3rd party modules exist in some specific subdirectory.
> > > We can then scan for extra modules, move the stub config.m4 file
> > > in there if needed and try to build...
> > >
> > > anyway that's a concept I'm trying to implement...

I'm