httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_protocol.c
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:14:22 GMT
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Greg Ames wrote:

> > Lastly, I had a quick thought about how to handle requests:
> >
> > Step 1: connection arrives, attach core_input_filter and http_filter
> > Step 2: read headers
> > Step 3: add request filters: chunking, gunzip, etc
> > Step 4: begin request processing
> >

> I would switch steps 3 and 4 around.  This lets existing hooks add input
> filters before, during, or after parsing headers.

I would agree and disagree.  :-)  I really dislike the idea of only having
one place to add input or output filters.  It is perfectly possible to
add them throughout the server.  We don't need a special hook for
inserting filters.

I read step 4 as run the handler phase, which was probably where I
mis-read this.  I think any phase should be able to insert filters until
we first call ap_get_brigade.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131