httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_include.c
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:18:30 GMT
On 13 Oct 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> rbb@locus.apache.org writes:

> >   Remove all function pointers from the ap_bucket type.  These function
> >   pointers are replaced with a global table that allows modules to register
> >   their bucket types.  Those bucket types are then allowed to be used in
> >   the server processing.  This also required removing all direct calls to
> >   those functions.  The ap_bucket type has an index into an array, so in
> >   each ap_bucket_* function, we use that index to find the correct set of
> >   functions.
>
> So how do I see if the bucket in hand is an EOS bucket without making
> a function call?  !@#$%^&*!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now, you can't.  With a SMALL amount of work, make it a macro!  Why
do you care about performance right now anyway?  Apache has never been
overly concerned about performance, we make no claims to be the fastest
web server around.

A lot of our performance issues can be fixed by using macros and inlined
functions.  Those are tweaks, and they can be done in beta.  Right now,
using functions makes it a lot easier to debug things, and we haven't
really looked at where inlining would make sense.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131