httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Apache caching public-proxy layer...
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:02:13 GMT

> How can it "inspect the content filters" ?? It isn't like it can know
> everything about every filter.

f = r->f;
while (f != c->fi || f != curr_filter) {
    alreadycalled[i] = f->frec;
    i++;
}

This allows the cache to remove those filters that have already been
called for this request.

> I don't know how the caching filter is going to work, but it will have to do
> it from the standpoint that filters are block boxes.

Filters are black boxes, but which black boxes have already been called is
know-able information, and the cache needs it.  Not how the filters work,
just which filters were called.

> It seems that some higher-level mechanism will need to manually rebuild a
> filter chain based on whether content is cached or not. Consider:
>
>     GEN -> F1 -> F2 -> F3 -> C1 ...
>
> If you cache the value between F1/F2, then the next request can/should skip
> GEN and F1 and inject a value directly into F2. Similarly, if the cached
> value occurs after F3, then GEN/F1/F2/F3 get skipped and the cache injects
> its value directly into C1.

Exactly.  This is the cache handlers responsability, and this is what I am
saying we need.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131